This Group is Africa’s largest producer in their industry. They are currently looking for an Agricultural Economist, who will be responsible for ensuring the effective management of Inbound Logistics & Agriculture Services related procurement and optimisation activities in line with the business requirements and the Group Logistics Category Group Agriculture strategy.
This is a strategic role focused on innovation and developing costing models to optimize resources present in the market.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Relevant 3 year degree or equivalent (B.Sc Agricultural Economics, Engineering, B.Com Economics or similar).
- Experience in Agricultural Economics.
- Knowledgeable regarding agricultural operations.
- Experience in Procurement / Category / Supply Chain (highly advantageous).
- Knowledgeable in Inbound Logistics (highly advantageous).
- Proven ability to effectively manage and negotiate contracts (logistics preferred).
- Highly developed interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Stakeholder Management.
- Strong negotiation, commercial acumen and understanding of the business to enable the support of business strategies and goals with pragmatic and innovative solutions.
- Excellent analytical capabilities to extract insights from gathered data.
- Highly confident with the use of databases, Excel and Project Management Tools; some knowledge of advanced analytical tools and Continuous Improvement process.
- Flexibility to adapt to developing situations.
- Self-starter & finisher; ability to take initiative and drive change.
- Strong and effective communication and influencing styles, able to achieve win-win solutions and capable of flexing style to different situations.
- Understanding of basic Health and Safety systems.
- Innovative, intuitive with ability to anticipate and interpret complex issues impacting on functional area.
Key Performance Areas:
- Responsible for providing business advice on the manufacture and distribution of agricultural means of production, farming itself, the determination of government policy on agricultural and consumption affairs, the purchasing, processing and distribution of agricultural products, the financing of all aspects of agricultural production and the sale of agricultural products, economic evaluation of agricultural projects and agricultural development.
- Examine data to determine patterns and trends in economic activity.
- Conduct research to collect data and market samples.
- Conduct market research analysis.
- Inform, influence, and improve business decisions based on analytics and data.
- Support procurement activities for Inbound Logistics and Agriculture Services (new and repeat).
- Generate cost savings through the development and execution of category strategies.
- Develop costing models to calculate what logistics and agriculture services should cost, in order to ensure that the costs from suppliers are optimised as well as assist in decision making about possible in-sourcing of such services.
- Monitor production and outputs, in order to inform policies to maximize productivity with minimum investment and maximum profit.
- Provide input into the management of land, crops, soil content, raw material irrigation techniques, ploughing and harvesting (to name a few).
- Support internal customer projects for sourcing and purchasing needs.
- Manage the procurement category process.
- Assist in the management of ongoing supplier relationship.
- Identify external data sources and tools to enable tracking of supplier market.
- Work closely with various mill Agriculture Teams to identify and deliver optimised cost effective inbound logistics and agriculture services solutions in collaboration with the suppliers.
- Understand and monitor market trends and new innovation solutions to evaluate feasibility in company operations.
- Be involved in the development of Continuous Improvement programs for the various sites and also contribute with new ideas, based on data analytics and market knowledge.
- Together with the Group Agriculture team, help define, source and implement systems that enables and optimises planning, execution and tracking of various inbound logistics and agriculture activities.