Executive Sous Chef
Executive Sous Chef
Excellent package – to be discussed during the interview
Directly reporting into the Executive Chef, the successful incumbent is to exhibit culinary talents by continually improving guest and employee satisfaction; maximizing the financial performance; assist in supervising all kitchen areas to ensure consistent, high quality food products; guiding and
developing staff; ensuring sanitation and food standards are achieved and adhered to at all times.
Required Experience & Qualifications
- § Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Sous Chef within a 5 or 4 star environment
- § Recognised Tertiary diploma in the culinary field.
- § Computer Literate
- § Good planning and forward planning skills to meet deadlines
- § Creative and artistic flair pertaining to food presentation and menu design
- § Effective menu planning / design and implementation
- § Strong financial knowledge with regards to controlling of food cost and set budgets
- § Good interpersonal and IR Skills encompassing staff discipline
- § Staff development and training
- § Ability to operate within a highly pressurized fast paced / changing environment
- § Good communication skills both internally and external – dealing with potential clients / media
- § Creative thought processes regarding – revenue generation, cost saving, promotions and concepts
- § Effective problem solving, decision making and conflict management skills
- § Attention to detail pertaining to food quality, presentation and portion control
- § Zero tolerance to poor hygiene / food storage practices
- § Assist and lead the day-to-day kitchen operations for the Hotel comprising of 5 outlets.
- § Menu Engineering – Recipe development and compliance based on market trends; customer preference and nutritional consideration in accordance with Brand Standards. Implement appropriate menu procedures in order to achieve maximum Budgeted Cost Percentages.
- § To assist with financial budgets for the kitchen department and to continually monitor monthly Forecasts (PIM) to ensure maximum profitability.
- § Costings and Cost Control for all implemented menus, special menus and functions – food related
- § Market Related Pricing research and recommendations
- § Conducts Internal Audits – Brand Standard Audit (BSA, Global Food and Safety Audit (GFSA) and Food Consulting Services (FCS).
- § Budgeted cost of sales – 26.5% to achieve.
- § Quarterly hygiene audit- 95% to achieve.
- § Ensure and manage staffing needs according to business levels – rostering.
- § Assess efficiency of Department’s Standard Operating Procedures and amend if necessary.
- § Inspect deliveries and be familiar with daily and monthly Food Consumption.
- § To achieve maximum profitability and effectiveness whilst maintaining high standards.
- § Ensure kitchen has adequate Operating Equipment and Capital Expenditure Items to meet deadlines and quality standards.
Accurate food stock takes
- § Ensure food segregation and stock rotation
- § Recording, monitoring and authorisation of all food purchases and issues.
- § To assist with all Human Resources related functions, which include, Industrial Relations, Administration and Training, Handling of Individual Disciplinary Hearings and Grievances, Conflict management amongst associates and management.
- § Maintenance and Implementation of Job Descriptions.
- § Implementation of Individual Development Programmes and identify Training needs.
- § Monitor scheduled leave and control Leave Liability
- § Monitor time and attendance – highlight and take action when necessary.
- § Complete and submit monthly payroll Input and Tip Schedule in collaboration with the Kitchen Administrator.
- § Participate in Employee Motivational Projects.
- § Ensure that Health and Safety Rules and Regulations are adhered to based on minimum requirements as law determines it.
- § Ensure that regular Departmental Meetings are held.
- § Following up on guest complaints and providing constructive feedback
- § Regular maintenance and safety walkabout
- § Ensure staff practice personal hygiene
- § Ensure staff dress code is adhered to and all uniforms are in a good state.
- § Ensure all staff follow equipment safety procedures at all times
- § Chefs tables inviting media to promote new menus / concepts
- § Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- § Demonstrate new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
- § Monitors the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- § Determines how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
- § Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- § Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- § Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- § Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for both associates and the guest.
- § Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels to identify areas of improvement.
Please email your application in Word format with a recent photo of yourself in your Chef’s uniform and some photos of your work (food profile) to email@example.com
Apply for this job.